The Community Rider is a cost effective, community transport service for everyone. We cover East Hants and surrounding areas. We can take you anywhere! Need a ride, call us for a quote?
We are a project of the East Hants Community Learning Association (EHCLA). We are a registered charity, a non-profit organization.
The transportation service was originally set up to breakdown one of the biggest barriers to education and provide transportation for adult learners to get to class. Following the success of this venture, the service has grown exponentially to help many residents of East Hants of all ages overcome transportation barriers in many aspects of their lives. Helping clients get to medical appointments, job interviews, classes and skills training, grocery shopping, personal errands as well as social events, getting together with friends and family, and sporting and after school activities. Social isolation is a real and growing problem in rural areas, which can lead to mental health issues. Transportation to services and social activities helps people remain engaged in their community. We have a fleet of 4 vehicles, two that are wheelchair accessible plus we are supported by a group of committed and trained volunteers who utilize their personal vehicles.
Our clients are your neighbours, they are seniors, students, families, people who face transportation challenges from simply buying their groceries to getting to medical appointments, as well as doing important personal errands such as banking.
How are we different?
- We are here to serve our clients.
- Rides are charged per person, per one-way drive.
- We operate five days a week, we can sometimes accommodate a special request outside of the normal operating hours.
- We telephone our clients to confirm their ride and tell them the name of the driver and the time they will be picked up.
- Our drivers are kind and compassionate and have a good driving record.
- Our drivers will take clients to their destination safely and if requested will walk with them to the clinic or department they need and wait for them at the appointment location or a pre-arrange meeting place.
- Letters can be provided to clients to give to medical staff with details on how to call their driver when the appointment is complete.
- We invoice monthly and can do direct invoicing if you have an agent that pays for your transportation.
For more information about registration please contact us at 902-883-4716
We have a Facebook page, please pay us a visit and “Like” & “Share” us. www.facebook.com/EastHantsCommunityLearningandRider
You can donate by debit or Visa to help people in your community overcome barriers to education and transportation. Your gift can provide people with choices, and provide access to services we take for granted every day. Thank you.